Monday, June 27, 2005

Thievery

So the other morning I was headed to work only to find that the front door of my car was unlocked. Hmmm. And the glove box was open. Double Hmmm.
Yeah, some "dern druggies" as my dad termed them, pinched me MP3 player and Beam-it adapter. Dern-it-all anyway. They were very polite about it. My car is completely unharmed and the contents of the glove box were hardly even disturbed. My sunglasses case was on the seat, along with a flashlight. Other than that, you couldn't tell anything had been touched. I was 99% sure that I had locked my door when I got home the night before, but you never can tell... Or can you? Here's how I became %100 percent sure: I had gotten into the backseat of the car through the back door. In the morning the back door was locked and the only way it would have been locked is if I locked all the doors by using the key to lock the front door. So hah. Any other way of locking three doors instead of four would be so unusual for me, that it's just as likely that I walked in my sleep down three flights of stairs to my car, unlocked the front door, put a sign in the window that said "Free MP3 player in glove box, and went back to bed.
What's superbly annoying is that about a week before, my roommate's husband's bike was stolen from our back deck. We live on the third floor. In order for it to be stolen, someone had to climb the building and lower it down. (Apparently this is not difficult. Two of our friends claim to have scaled the building with remarkable ease.) It was nice bike too ($850 Kona). Furthermore, it had to have happened while we were sleeping, and the door was probably cracked open for the cats to access the deck. Now we have a stick for our slider.
This city just ain't that big, so where the heck are all the cops?

No comments: