Thursday, November 25, 2010

Stick it to 'em

Like any good teacher, I've got stickers to put on my students' piano assignments. I use them as an indication that they've passed that particular song. The problem? The stickers are a little too affirming for what I'm trying to convey. While "Terrific!" "Fantastic!" and "Way 2 Go!" are definitely nice sentiments, I'm looking for something more honest. Something along the lines of, "Well, at least you hit most of the notes." Or how about, "I'm feeling generous today." Even better: "I have some unidentified feeling that could be generosity but could be laziness or even apathy. Here, kid, have a sticker." Maybe, "Wow, you must have practiced at least once this week!" Perhaps the most honest of them all could be, "I'm tired of this song, let's move on for my sake." I think my personal favorite (as it is my mother's outlook on housekeeping and I therefore apply it to life in general) would be, "Better is good enough!"
Where are the honest stickers? Oh well, this is the post modern world, right? Everyone's a Terrific, Fantastic, Number 1, Way-to-go Winner with a gold star on top!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

HA! New stickers: "That's better!"
Or--"Good enough" Or--"Moving right along" Or--"Finally!" But let's hope your students never see this. :-)

Katie said...

Don't worry, mom, very few people know this blog exists. Though one of them is a parent of some former students. Fortunately, those students were perfect angels and earned their stickers.

Paul Taylor said...

Hmmm. Is someone talking about me?