Friday, April 22, 2005

My First Story Time

I think I'll be a children's librarian. Like in a school. Yeah, that sounds good. Today I did my first story time and it was wonderful! I read four stories to forty second-graders (because they kept asking for more). First I read My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza. What I love about these kids is that one of them will raise his hand and say "I think that the pig said all those things to get the fox to do those nice things and make him tired so that then he could have all that good stuff and run away." And then three other kids will raise their hands and say the same thing. Then I read Duck on a Bike by David Shannon which was also very popular. I read Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch and I think that was the best one. I have it practically memorized, which helps. Then, because they begged, I read Diary of a Worm by Cronin (who wrote Click, Clack, Moo). I don't really like that book. I think it's boring, but they wanted it, so whatever. Still, it was so much fun and they had so much fun. And I think that as a school librarian I'd get to read different levels of books as read-alouds. I guess I should research going back to school, though I'm awfully comfortable where I am. My hours did just get re-cut so I'm back at 24... la de da and all that. But just think: If I got a job at Starbucks and worked 8-hr shifts on the days I have off from Children's corner, that would give me another 24 hrs, which would be 48 hrs total per week and give me full benefits from Starbucks. And then I'd have no time for school.
Hmmm.

No comments: