Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring

I must say, even though my last two posts have been not-exactly-uplifting, I'm uberhappy that it's spring. I love winter, but that time in between winter and spring can be described as follows: ICK, BLECH, UGH. Grey, muddy, slushy, brown. Late April to Early June is wonderful. Green, flowery, sunny, warm. And there are baby calves. Mmmm. It's like ice cream. I will myself not to think about the perils of summer, which are sure to come, as they never fail to do. No, I shall revel in the spring and enjoy gambolling on the farm, photographing the earth come to life.

I can never get GMH poems to copy in the right format, but here is what he has to say on Spring:

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring --
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush's eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth's sweet being in the beginning
In Eden garden. -- Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid's child, thy choice and worthy the winning.


Gerard Manley Hopkins

No comments: