Monday, August 27, 2012

Pain Management

Today I started a program through Kaiser called Pain Management and Rehabilitation. It is for people with chronic pain to retrain our nerves. I'm off of work for the 6 weeks that I'll be participating in the program.
Everyone was very welcoming and there was nothing at all awkward about walking into a room full of people who knew what they were doing. The ladies next to me were perfect about helping me to know what to do. We started with a little Qi Gong, which was ok. I'm sometimes inwardly rolling my eyes when things get a little too eastern, but am trying to keep an open mind. And the movement felt good. Then we did Feldenkrais for a while and that was really impressive! You can trick your brain and body so easily. Silly. My mouth actually dropped open. And the instructor was funny, which made everything more relaxing.
Did I mention that there are yoga blocks to put your feet on when you're sitting? So if you're short, like me, your feet are not dangling ridiculously. You can do all the exercises from whatever position you're the most comfortable with. There are blankets and pillows provided and you can get up, lie down, move around, stretch... do whatever you need to at whatever time to be the most comfortable. I wish every environment was like that.
After Feldenkrais we had group time where we just talked about what we had been feeling, what our frustrations are, what works well for us, etc. It was helpful and didn't feel like stereotypical group therapy. Then we went for a walk. Man, it was a short walk. I wish we had walked longer, but I had a nice chat with two of the other girls and my case worker. We chatted about shoes and pizza and I was invited out to lunch on Wednesday with everyone.
Tomorrow we do Yoga instead of Feldenkrais and I know I will miss the phase 2 people who only come MWF.
I'm encouraged by my first day. I hope I will want to move even more outside of class.

I've had a migraine almost every day for the last week. Don't know what that's about. I had been doing so well. I'm on a diet that excludes the 6 major migraine triggers-- caffeine, cheese, chocolate, msg, nitrates, and red wine. So I dunno about this one.

I could use another white chocolate Kit Kat right about now.

Mmm, yeah that's all.

No comments: